Electroluminescent quantum dots
Organic light emitting diode (OLED) displays represent the next generation of display technology. They promise wider viewing angles, thinner, lighter displays as well as improved energy efficiency.
Nanoco Technologies are working with partners to develop the next generation in OLED technology. OLEDs are characterised by an emissive layer that consists of organic molecules. To improve these devices we use quantum dots as the emissive material. Quantum dots have the following attractive properties:
- High photoluminescence quantum yield (efficiency)
- Solution processability (less costly fabrication)
- High stability (improved device lifetimes)
- Narrow emission bands (improved colour saturation)
- Tuneable emission via size, i.e. one material for many colours (less costly fabrication)
- Capability to emit light from 100 percent of electrically excited photons (efficiency)
Importantly, only one material is needed to generate a full colour display and because of the narrow emission bands the display will have a wider colour gamut. Thus QD-OLED displays offer better colour saturation than current display technologies (LCD, plasma, OLED).